Insect Lore provides Western Harvester Ants (Pogonomyrmex californicus). Here are some fun facts about Harvester Ants!
- These hardy ants come from the rugged desert hills of the American Southwest.
- They are called Harvester Ants because they gather seeds, dead insects and other food items.
- Their defense mechanisms include a painful bite and sting.
- They live in very dense colonies inside an ant hill.
- They prefer to build their nests in a sunny location.
- Like butterflies, ants complete metamorphosis and the four stages are egg, pupa, larva, and adult.