Here are some general tips and tricks to help you care for your Harvester Ants.
- Your ants will live longer if kept in a relatively cool place.
- Temperatures in the 60ºF to 70ºF range are best.
- Keep Ant Mountain™ out of direct sunlight.
- Try not to move Ant Mountain™ too often as this may disturb the ants’ tunneling.
- Don’t mix other live ants with your ants
- Don’t place Ant Mountain™ near any areas that have been sprayed with insecticides.
- As your ants tunnel, they will bring sand to the top of Ant Mountain™ near the lid. Most of the sand will fall down into the rounded side. However, some sand may accumulate near the top, allowing the ants to crawl up and escape when you open the lid. If this occurs, open the lid and gently loosen the built-up sand with your sand rod or a pencil.
- If you see any condensation (small water droplets) form on the inside of your Ant Mountain™, your ants are in danger. Open the lid and let the habitat dry until the condensation disappears. Be sure to babysit your Ant Mountain™ during drying to avoid any escapees while the lid is open!